Owner, Account Service Director
How would you describe your job?
I’m one of the “guys in a suit” (when we used to wear suits) who provides good, sound communications counsel to clients and manages the client relationship. Then I make sure everything gets completed on time and on budget. It needs an even-brained person—just enough right-side to know and appreciate excellent creative work and plenty of left side for planning, strategy, research, etc. The in-between is kinda like herding cats.
You’ve been in this business for a long time. What keeps you so enthused about coming to work every day?
Yeah, I’ve been at it nearly 40 years because I truly love this crazy business. I love seeing brands built. I love seeing successes happen for our clients. I love mentoring the young account people coming up in the business. I love watching the technology evolve. Plus, I’m having too much fun to retire.
What projects/activities do you pursue outside of agency work?
I serve on the board of a non-profit called The Janada Batchelor Foundation for Children, a.k.a. MainSprings. This organization is dedicated to eliminating extreme poverty in Tanzania. I spend a good deal of weekend time at the family ranch in northeastern Oklahoma, where I (attempt to) manage the land for the deer and wild turkey populations. Plus, there’s always a project to be done on 330+ acres. My wife and I have been decades-long season ticket holders/supporters of Tulsa Ballet Theater, and also regularly attend performances of the Tulsa Philharmonic and Tulsa Opera. You’ll also see me at concerts of those classic rock bands of the ‘70s when they come through town (Eagles, Billy Joel, Rush, Moody Blues, Paul McCartney, to name a few) and in Stillwater on game day, because we’re OSU season ticket holders. We also travel abroad pretty regularly with our four grown kids.
Give us six fun facts about David Downing:
- My high school football team won back-to-back big-school state championships in 1974 and 1975.
- I was a walk-on college football player at Oklahoma State University. I also threw javelin for the track team.
- I play drums, sorta.
- I successfully spearheaded an initiative to create a statewide high school for the visual and performing arts.
- I’m obsessed with my Downing genealogy and am currently tracing it back as far as possible.
- I’m equally comfortable sitting in a tree stand in the woods or in the audience at the ballet.
AcrobatAnt Marketing & Advertising
1336 East 15th Street
Tulsa, OK 74120