Key Marketing Insights about Today’s Healthcare Consumer
Having a grasp on our audiences’ perceptions about the healthcare system gives us the opportunity to improve our path to quality healthcare.
Every year since 2008, the Deloitte Center for Health Solutions polls 4,000 adults in the U.S. about their behavior in and attitudes about healthcare. Those surveyed are asked about overall performance and personal use of the healthcare system, improvements needed and needs that are currently being unmet. I’m not going to distill the entire report for you, but I have extracted insights that I believe are important to our efforts in marketing healthcare to a consumer audience.
Healthcare is deeply personal to our audience. Our healthcare consumers’ understanding of the “healthcare system” is based almost entirely on their personal experience with it and, therefore, they hold very strong opinions about it. The perception is that it is complex, wasteful and lacking in value. Organizations with a desire to cater to today’s healthcare consumer will keep these perceptions in mind when creating consumer paths to “purchase.”
The healthcare system impacts everyone and they use it frequently:
- 8 in 10 consumers have a PCP
- 3 in 4 sought medical care from a doctor in the last 12 months
- 76 percent are satisfied with their PCPs
- Almost half received care in a hospital in the last year
- 65 percent of those who used a hospital service were satisfied with the care they received
- Those who were dissatisfied with their hospital care noted cost-related reasons, customer service issues and access/availability reasons
Healthcare consumers want improvements that will add value to the delivery of care:
- 52 percent believe an integrated system (versus a system of independent practitioners and hospitals) has greater potential to reduce cost, provide more value and deliver better quality care
- Half believe a NP or PA can provide primary care comparable to what a physician can deliver
- 25 percent will visit a retail clinic if a physician isn’t available
Given these insights, organizations need to respond to healthcare consumers’ demands by making improvements that satisfy their needs to improve the healthcare experience for everyone.
AcrobatAnt Healthcare Marketing & Advertising
1336 East 15th Street
Categorized in: Healthcare