Patient Driven = Patient Centric in Healthcare Marketing
As healthcare consumerism continues to drive engagement, healthcare marketing would benefit by taking a cue from the consumer-driven retail industry and patient-driven Mayo Clinic.
Retail giant L.L. Bean was founded in 1912 by Leon Leonwood Bean, a hunter who designed and manufactured a hunting boot which he then sold by mail order to a mailing list of hunting license holders. Retail sales were all done by catalog until the flagship L.L.Bean store was opened in Freeport Maine in 1951.
“… treat your customers like human beings and they will always come back for more.”
These words have guided the organization since L.L. first wrote them. The challenge healthcare marketers face is getting from here to there—and convincing the players and forces at work that change is inevitable.
10 Patient Commandments:
1. Patients are the most important people ever in our business – in person or online.
2. Patients are not dependent on us – we are dependent on them.
3. Patients are not to argue or match wits with. Nobody ever won an argument with a patient.
4. Patients bring us their needs. It is our job to handle them profitably.
5. Patients are not an interruption of our work, they are the purpose of it.
6. Patients do us a favor when they call. We do not do them a favor by serving them.
7. Patients are part of our business, they are not outsiders.
8. Patients deserve the most courteous and attentive treatment we can give them.
9. Patients are the individuals who make it possible to pay our wages.
10. Patients are the lifeblood of this and every other business.
Healthcare is an extremely personal and social interaction… among human beings. Healthcare organizations who continue to emphasize numbers of patients seen over quality of healthcare delivery would be better served by adopting a patient-centric approach.
“The needs of the patient come first.” —Mayo Clinic
The Mayo Clinic is a premiere example of a “patient-driven” organization. Above and beyond the excellent care, pioneering procedures, world-class medical facility and space-age technology, their providers and healthcare staff take the time to put the needs of the patient first. By making meaningful connections with their patients, talking with them and answering all of their questions, Mayo Clinic is understandably at the top of the list in providing the best patient care.
AcrobatAnt Healthcare Marketing & Advertising
1336 East 15th Street
Categorized in: Healthcare